An official army family and MWR Site

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get to Fort Walker, VA?

Fort Walker is located within the boundaries of Caroline County, a largely rural county of great natural beauty, dotted with farms, woodlands and waters. Caroline County is located in the northeastern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Situated along the I-95 corridor, Caroline sits roughly midway between Richmond and Washington, DC. Norfolk and the Port of Hampton Roads are approximately 110 miles to the southeast. The county has 549 square miles of land. The Town of Bowling Green, located approximately in the center of the county, serves as the county seat. Bowling Green is 72 miles south of Washington, DC, 20 miles south of Fredericksburg, 108 miles southeast of Baltimore, MD, and 35 miles north of Richmond. It serves as the professional and service hub of Caroline County and is the community located closest to Fort Walker's main entrance and permanent staff office complex. The county’s smaller incorporated town, Port Royal, lies approximately 11 miles northeast of Bowling Green, on the Rappahannock River. Communities and counties surrounding Fort Walker have a lengthy history of support for the post and the valuable mission it fulfills for our nation.

Directions to Fort Walker

How do I make a change in my lodging reservation?

To make any changes to a current reservation, you must contact the Lodging Reservation Desk at +1 (804)633-8335. All cabins and cottages, except for the Lodge, have 24 hours cancellation policy. The Lodge can only be cancelled up to 2 weeks before the reservation is to occur.

Who can stay with me?

Please contact the lodging reservation desk at +1 (804)633-8335 for details.

What is the weather like?

The weather in Bowling Green, VA can change very quickly. To keep up-to-date on the current weather conditions please go to the National Weather Service’s site.

Can I bring my pet with me?

Pets are welcome in some of our Rec Lodging Rentals, as long as they are not aggressive, are on a leash at all times, and are cleaned up after, with waste disposed of properly.  You are required to have the most recent rabies vaccination documentation with you while staying in our rentals.  We have a limited number of pet-friendly Cabins, for which we charge an additional pet cleaning fee of $25 per pet, per stay. There is limit of 2 pets per facility.  Pet Friendly Cabins: Hill Top Cabins (278 - 283).

Pets are welcomed if you are using your own camper inside the RV Park. Those pets must remain on a leash at all times, and owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets.

Is there internet access/WI-FI?

We do have internet access inside our buildings and rooms, except for the Lodge. Contact the lodging office at +1 (804)633-8335 for details.

Can I ride my horse on Fort Walker?

Horseback riding on Fort Walker is prohibited.

Is there a place to do laundry on post?

Yes, there is a laundry site in the RV Service Center. You must first obtain the access code from the lodging office. Please contact the lodging reservation desk at +1 (804)633-8335.